Ships, airplanes and even cars are fascinating to explore and usually teem with aquatic life. Each wreck dive offers a chance for a new discovery.
Whether purpose-sunk as an artificial reef for scuba divers, or lost as the result of an accident, wrecks are fascinating windows to the past. Ships, airplanes and even cars are fascinating to explore and usually teem with aquatic life. Each wreck dive offers a chance for discovery, potentially unlocking a mystery or spying something others have missed. The PADI Wreck Diver Specialty course is popular because it offers rewarding adventures while observing responsible wreck diving practices.
If you’re at least 15 years old and have earned a PADI Adventure Diver certification or higher, you can enroll in the Wreck Diver Specialty course.
There are many different types of wrecks, some of which are protected by laws that guard their historical and cultural significance. Your training starts by reviewing guidelines for researching and respecting wrecks. During four dives you’ll learn:
- Safety considerations for navigating and exploring wrecks.
- Surveying and mapping a wreck.
- Using penetration lines and reels to guide exploration.
- Techniques to avoid kicking up silt or disturbing the wreck and its inhabitants.
You may be able to get college credit for the Wreck Diver course – ask your instructor.
You’ll need your basic scuba equipment, plus a dive light to see into the wreck, a slate and underwater compass for mapping and navigation, and a line and reel for practicing wreck penetration. Your PADI Instructor may suggest other gear appropriate for wreck diving in your area.
Prerequisites & Requirements
15 years or older
PADI Adventure Diver (or qualifying certification)
- Four Wreck dives with instructors
- Wreck diver manual
- PADI Wreck Diver Certification card
What’s not included in this course?
- Scuba Gear rental: $60 one time fee for the entire course (BCD, Reg w/Computer, Tanks, Weights, Wetsuit)
- You are responsible for providing your own scuba quality personal gear. Mask, fins, snorkel, boots & clips. Snorkel gear will not work for this course. Browse the shop now to see what’s available.