Fine-tune your underwater observation skills and learn to use your compass more accurately. This course may count towards college credit, ask your instructor.
Be the scuba diver everyone wants to follow because you know where you are and where you’re going. The PADI Underwater Navigator course fine-tunes your observation skills and teaches you to more accurately use your compass underwater. If you like challenges with big rewards, take this course and have fun finding your way.
If you’re a PADI (Junior) Open Water Diver who is at least 10 years old, you can enroll in the PADI Underwater Navigator Specialty course.
You’ll learn the tools of the trade, including navigation using natural clues and by following compass headings. During three scuba dives, you’ll practice:
- Methods to estimate distance underwater.
- Compass navigation while making at least five turns.
- Marking or relocating a submerged object or position from the surface.
- Underwater map making.
You may be able to get college credit for the Underwater Navigator course – ask your instructor.
Besides your basic scuba equipment, you’ll need a compass and underwater slate. Your PADI Instructor may suggest other gear to help you stay oriented, such as marker buoys or lines and reels.
10 years or older
PADI (Junior) Open Water Diver (or qualifying entry-level certification)
- Three Navigation dives with instructors
- Underwater Navigation diver materials
- PADI Underwater Navigation Diver Certification card
- Scuba Gear rental: $50 one time fee for the entire course (BCD, Reg w/Computer, Tanks, Weights, Wetsuit)
- You are responsible for providing your own scuba quality personal gear. Mask, fins, snorkel, boots & clips. Snorkel gear will not work for this course. We also offer Student discounts on these items.
- Browse the shop now to see what’s available.