A sidemount configuration (scuba tanks alongside of the diver) offers more flexibility and better steamlining options. Learn about the many benefits of diving with a sidemount configuration.
Having scuba tanks on your back isn't a requirement for exploring the underwater world. Many scuba divers have discovered the joy of mounting cylinders on their sides. Sidemount diving gives you flexibility and streamlining options. Plus, you don't have to walk with heavy cylinders on your back - just enter the water, clip them on and go. Sound interesting? Sign up for the PADI Sidemount Diver Specialty course.
If you're a PADI Open Water Diver who is at least 15 years old, you can enroll in a PADI Sidemount Diver course.
Along with learning about the many benefits of diving with a sidemount configuration, during one confined water and three open water scuba dives you'll learn how to:
- Properly assemble and configure sidemount scuba diving equipment.
- Trim your weight system and sidemount gear so you're perfectly balanced in the water.
- Manage gas by switching second stages as planned, if wearing two cylinders.
- Respond correctly to potential problems when sidemount diving.
Get credit! The first dive of this PADI Specialty Diver course may credit as an Adventure Dive toward your Advanced Open Water Diver certification - ask your instructor about earning credit.
You'll want to use your own mask, fins, snorkel and exposure suit. Your PADI Instructor or our dive center staff will explain the sidemount equipment you'll need, such as a BCD and harness configured for sidemount diving along with cylinders, each with a regulator and SPG.
15 years or older
PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification)
- Classroom session with Instructor
- Three dives with Instructor
- Sidemount Diver Materials
- PADI Limited Edition Project AWARE Sidemount Diver Certification Card – Valid for LIFE!
- Scuba Gear rental: $50 one time fee for the entire course (BCD, Reg w/Computer, Tanks, Weights, Wetsuit)
- You are responsible for providing your own scuba quality personal gear. Mask, fins, snorkel, boots & clips. Snorkel gear will not work for this course. We also offer Student discounts on these items.
- Browse the shop now to see what’s available.