Retrieve lost items that have fallen overboard or over a dock. Learn effective swimming patterns and using a lift bag for heavy objects.
It happens: People accidentally drop things from docks, off boats or even while scuba diving. If you’ve ever lost something in the water and wanted to go find it, then the PADI Search and Recovery Diver Specialty course is for you. There are effective ways to search for objects underwater that increase your chances of success. And there are good and better methods to bring up small, large or just awkward items. Search and recovery can be challenging, but a whole lot of fun.
PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water Divers who are at least 12 years old can enroll in the Search and Recover Diver course. PADI (Junior) Open Water Divers with a PADI Underwater Navigator certification also qualify.
Gathering information and resources, then carefully planning a search are the first important steps you learn. During four scuba dives you’ll practice:
- Swimming search patterns using your compass and natural navigation.
- Locating large and small objects using various search patterns.
- Using a lift bag for large or heavy objects, plus other recovery methods.
- Planning a search operation based on facts gathered about a lost object prior to the dive.
You may be able to get college credit for the Search and Recovery course – ask your instructor.
Besides your basic scuba equipment, you’ll need a compass and underwater slate. Your PADI Instructor may suggest other gear that may help with your searches, such as a dive light, marker buoys, lines and reels.
Prerequisites & Requirements
12 years or older
PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water Divers or PADI (Junior) Open Water Divers with a PADI Underwater Navigator certification also qualify.
- Four Search and Recovery dives with instructors
- Search and Recovery diver materials
- PADI Search and Recovery Certification card
What’s not included in this course?
- Scuba Gear rental: $60 one time fee for the entire course (BCD, Reg w/Computer, Tanks, Weights, Wetsuit)
- You are responsible for providing your own scuba quality personal gear. Mask, fins, snorkel, boots & clips. Snorkel gear will not work for this course. Browse the shop now to see what’s available.