Diving in altitudes higher than 300 metres/1000 feet above sea level is altitude diving. Discover a hidden world where only a few have ventured.
Imagine descending below the surface of a clear mountain lake to explore a well-preserved wreck. Interested? Any time you scuba dive at an altitude higher than 300 metres/1000 feet above sea level, you’re altitude diving. If you’re ready to discover a hidden world where few have ventured, then the PADI Altitude Diver Specialty course is for you.
PADI (Junior) Open Water Divers who are at least 10 years old are eligible to take the Altitude Diver course.
Learning to adjust your dive plan for the reduced surface pressure at altitude is an important part of the course. You’ll complete two scuba dives and learn:
- Altitude dive planning, organization, procedures and techniques.
- How to adjust your dive computer for altitude diving or calculate altitude dive profiles using the RDP Table or eRDPMLTM.
- How to avoid problems and handle emergency situations, if they occur, at altitude.
Get credit! The first dive of this PADI Specialty Diver course may credit as an Adventure Dive toward your Advanced Open Water Diver certification – ask your instructor about earning credit.
Beyond using basic scuba equipment, you may need different exposure protection depending on where you dive. Your PADI Instructor may suggest additional equipment depending on the dive site features and visibility. Check with us to get advice about diving at altitude.
Prerequisites & Requirements
10 years or older
PADI (Junior) Open Water Diver (or qualifying entry-level-certification)
- Two Altitude dives with instructors
- Altitude diver Materials
- PADI Limited Edition Project AWARE Altitude Diver Certification card
What’s not included in this course?
- Scuba Gear rental: $60 one time fee for the entire course (BCD, Reg w/Computer, Tanks, Weights, Wetsuit)
- You are responsible for providing your own scuba quality personal gear. Mask, fins, snorkel, boots & clips. Snorkel gear will not work for this course. Browse the shop now to see what’s available.